Here at Coachella’s Best Dates, we’re all about reducing waste, so before you throw away our organic date pits, consider turning them into coffee. That’s right - coffee!
Date seed coffee originated in the Middle East to keep warm on cold nights. Dates are a native fruit in the Middle East and North Africa, and since they are a staple part of the diet in those areas, people there have figured out ways to utilize the whole date.
Before you ask, some fruit pits are toxic, but date pits are non-toxic and safe to eat. The date pit can even provide many health benefits. The antioxidants inside are stress-reducing and boost your immune system. They are also high in vitamins and minerals like magnesium, calcium, iron, zinc, and potassium. Date seed coffee can reduce your blood sugar and is a caffeine-free energy booster! Have we sold you yet?
Making your date seed coffee takes about 8-10 date pits per cup, so as you enjoy the dates you can store the pits in the freezer. Here’s what you’ll need to make this digestive health-improving drink:
- 8-10 Coachella’s Best Organic Date Seeds (you can buy whole, unpitted dates HERE)
- Milk (You can use milk alternatives if you are lactose intolerant and vegan!)
- Spices (Any you’d like, but some good options are: cinnamon, nutmeg, chai, and vanilla)
- Sweetener (Ex: honey, sugar, monk fruit, date syrup)
- Optional: cocoa powder, caramel
- Make sure your dates are clean and dry. Air dry them for a few days or use a dehydrator.
- Roast the dried seeds in the oven at 350ºF for 30-45 minutes on a parchment-lined baking tray (This helps them develop a richer flavor).
- Once they’ve cooled, add the pits to a food processor or spice grinder and blend into a powder.
- To ensure a smooth powder you can sift it and re-grind.
- Heat your water until almost boiling (approximately 195°F).
- Combine your date seed powder with your spices and add them to a coffee filter.
- Place the filter over a jug and pour the hot water into it. Let it drip until you have your glass of date seed coffee.
We hope you enjoy The Best Darn Date Seed Coffee just as much as we do! Make sure to share your recreation of this recipe and don’t forget to tag us on Instagram @coachellasbestdates.