Happy National Caramel Day! Here at Coachella’s Best Organic Dates, we love an all-inclusive recipe that is dairy-free, gluten-free, and fully vegan! While there are many vegan caramel recipes out there that are made with delicious and nutritious dates, they are typically thick and great for making candy bars but not great for drizzling or dipping. That is why we are in LOVE with this new “Drizzle-able” Date Caramel recipe!
Did you know that caramel started in the seventeenth century because caramelized sugar with water made an economical candy to produce? They then discovered that adding milk and fat gave a soft, chewy candy! By swapping the sugar with dates and the milk with coconut milk not only are you creating a vegan alternative but also a healthier one with a lower glycemic index and packed with vitamins and nutrients.
This recipe also only contains 5 ingredients and 6 simple steps. All you have to do is throw all of the ingredients into a blender or food processor and you’re done! There is no cooking or crazy mess to clean up after, which is a win in our book. Try dipping apples into this caramel sauce or drizzle it over some cold ice cream or a warm brownie. Here’s how you make it:
- 1 cup Coachella’s Best Organic Medjool Dates (you can buy them in bulk HERE!)
- ½ cup coconut or agave nectar (we recommend coconut nectar for more nutrients and less fructose)
- ½ cup full fat coconut milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Cut your Coachella’s Best Organic Medjool Dates vertically and remove the pit.
- Soak your dates in hot water for about 5 minutes or until soft.
- Strain the water from the dates and lightly pat to dry.
- Add the soaked date, coconut nectar, coconut milk, vanilla extract, and salt into a blender or food processor.
- Blend until smooth (You may add more coconut milk in order to get the right consistency).
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator and enjoy!
We hope you enjoy this Drizzle-able Date Caramel just as much as we do! Make sure to share your recreation of this recipe and don’t forget to tag us on Instagram @coachellasbestdates.