Happy Cinco de Mayo! We are so excited to celebrate this annual holiday today with yet another amazing recipe we can’t wait to share. Over here at Coachella’s Best Organic Dates, we have a major sweet tooth, which explains why we are so in love with this new Date-Sweetened Horchata recipe.
Did you know that Cinco de Mayo is more popular in the United States than in Mexico? This celebration is held on May 5 every year and commemorates Mexico’s victory over the French Empire at the Battle of Puebla in 1862. The annual holiday has become associated with the celebration of Mexican American culture. Nationwide popularity of Cinco de Mayo skyrocketed in the United States in the 1980’s after advertising campaigns by wine, beer, and tequila were released. In Mexico, this day is more ceremonial with military parades and battle reenactments.
This cold, refreshing beverage is typically served as a sweet snack after lunch and has been found to have anti-inflammatory properties, to promote digestion, and to improve memory. The standard recipe typically uses about 1/2 cup of sugar so we are replacing the sugar with dates as a healthier alternative.
This date-sweetened drink is absolutely delicious and we cannot wait for you to try it!
Here’s how you make it:
- 2 Cups of a Milk of your choice
- 1 ½ Cup White Rice
- 2 Cinnamon Sticks
- ½ Cup of Medjool Dates
- 11/2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
- 2 Cups Water
- Soak the rice and cinnamon sticks in water overnight.
- Remove seeds from Medjool dates
- Put the rice and cinnamon sticks in a blender, along with all of the other ingredients in the list above. Just don't add the milk yet!
- Blend on high for 2 minutes.
- Pour through a fine mesh strainer and drain the liquid as best as you can.
- Chill the mixed drink in the refrigerator for an hour.
- Ready to pour, best served over ice!