Take 5 Bars are definitely not one of the most popular candy bars around, but they should be! They have a delicious combination of salty pretzels and peanuts mixed with sweet, creamy peanut butter, and caramel, so if you like a sweet and salty combination, this bar is for you! While the store-bought versions are delicious, they are not very nutritious, so we have created a quick, simple, and more nutritious recipe that both you and your kids will love this Halloween.
These home-made Medjool Date Take 5 Bars are vegan, refined sugar-free, and have the option to be gluten-free if you use gluten-free pretzels. These bars are going to become a favorite staple that you will want to always have around! Here’s how you make them:
- 1 packed cup (about 13 dates depending on their size) Coachella’s Best Organic Medjool Dates (you can buy these here!)
- 2 tbsp almond or coconut milk
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp salt
- 35 pretzel squares (you can use gluten-free pretzels in order to make this recipe gluten-free!)
- ½ cup peanut butter
- ⅓ cup dry roasted peanuts (we used unsalted but either works!)
- Half a bag of semi-sweet dark chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Cut your Coachella’s Best Organic Medjool Dates in half and remove the pit.
- Place your halved dates in a bowl and either cover with hot water or add room temperature water and microwave for 60 seconds.
- Let the dates soak in the hot water for about 2-3 minutes.
- Drain out the water from the dates and pat dry.
- Add all of your soaked Medjool dates, almond milk, peanut butter, vanilla, and salt into a blender or food processor and blend until there are no chunks left and you are left with Date Caramel (we recommend starting at a slower speed and stopping to scrape the sides of the blender whenever needed)
- Remove your Date Caramel and place it in a bowl.
- Line a baking sheet or large plate with parchment paper and spread out all of your pretzel squares on top.
- Spread peanut butter (you can use creamy or chunky) on top of each pretzel - this is going to be your first layer.
- For your second layer, add a dollop of Date Caramel on top of the peanut butter.
- Take your whole peanuts and place them in a large ziplock bag. Roll over the bag with a rolling pin in order to crush them into smaller pieces.
- For the final layer, sprinkle the crushed peanuts on top of the bars and gently press them into the caramel so that they do not fall off.
- Place the baking sheet or plate with your bars into the freezer and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Add your chocolate and coconut oil into a microwave-safe bowl and microwave in 30-second intervals, mixing in between.
- Once the chocolate has completely melted, place one of the bars in the chocolate and use a fork to completely coat the bar.
- Remove the bar with the fork, allowing the excess chocolate to drip off and place back onto the parchment paper.
- Once all of the bars are coated, place them back in the freezer for 10 minutes or until the chocolate has completely hardened.
We hope you enjoy these Date Take 5 Bars just as much as we do! Make sure to share your recreation of this recipe and don’t forget to tag us on Instagram @coachellasbestdates.