The famous Date Snickers! With Halloween just around the corner, it’s good to be prepared with healthy treats to help prevent the sugar high and crash that most kids experience as well as to satisfy your cravings (and keep you from sneaking some of your kid’s candy). While the “Date Snickers” is a famous creation and a fan favorite, it is usually in the form of a stuffed date which can blow your cover when trying to feed them this nutritious “candy.” We wanted to stimulate all 5 senses and create a Date Snickers that not only tastes like a Snickers bar but looks like one too!
The best part of this treat (besides being packed with vitamins, minerals, and fiber that your kids will love the taste of and not have any sugar crash after) is that it is quick and simple! With only 7 whole, nutritious plant-based ingredients, this gluten-free, vegan candy will be one that you won’t mind making for your kids when they ask for it. Here’s how you make it:
- 1 packed cup (about 13 dates depending on their size) Coachella’s Best Organic Medjool Dates (you can buy these here!)
- 2 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅔ cup almond flour (you can use oat flour too!)
- ⅓ cup dry roasted peanuts (we used unsalted but either works!)
- Half a bag of semi-sweet dark chocolate chips
- Cut your Coachella’s Best Organic Medjool Dates in half and remove the pit.
- Place your halved dates in a bowl and either cover with hot water or add room temperature water and microwave for 60 seconds.
- Let the dates soak in the hot water for about 2-3 minutes.
- Drain out the water from the dates and pat dry.
- Add all of your soaked medjool dates, peanut butter, vanilla, and salt into a blender or food processor and blend until there are no chunks left and you are left with Date Caramel (we recommend starting at a slower speed and stopping to scrape the sides of the blender whenever needed).
- Remove your Date Caramel (don’t wash the blender yet!) and place it in a bowl.
- Add ¼ cup of your date caramel back into the blender along with ⅔ cup almond flour.
- Blend as you did before until it is completely mixed and has a sticky dough-like consistency.
- Line a small, rectangle glass baking dish or tupperware with parchment paper - ensuring the sides are sticking up so that you can easily remove the layers. (We used two small rectangle dishes but you can use one in order to make the inside thicker!)
- Press the almond flour nougat mixture into the dish until it is evenly distributed.
- Spread the Date Caramel evenly over the nougat layer (you may need to put coconut oil or olive oil on your fingers to do this because it gets sticky!)
- Sprinkle the peanuts over the caramel and press into the caramel (you may need to use more or fewer peanuts depending on the size of the dish you use).
- Place the dish in the freezer for 60-90 minutes to let it harden.
- Remove layers from the dish and cut them into bars.
- Microwave your chocolate in a bowl, stopping at intervals in order to mix it.
- Place your bars into the melted chocolate, using two forks to move the bar around and thoroughly coat the bar.
- Place your coated bars on a parchment paper-lined plate.
- Place the bars into the freezer for 10-20 minutes or until the chocolate is hard.
- Store any extra bars in the fridge or freezer for up to one month (if they last that long).
We hope you enjoy this Date Snicker Bar just as much as we do! Make sure to share your recreation of this recipe and don’t forget to tag us on Instagram @coachellasbestdates.