Happy Diwali! Diwali is the festival of lights celebrated by Hindus, Jains, Sikhs, and some Buddhists, where clay lamps are lit outside homes in order to symbolize the triumph of good (light) over evil (darkness). People also celebrate this day with fireworks, visiting family, and enjoying a delicious feast!
Khajoor Barfi, also known as date rolls, is a delicious and nutritious dessert that can be made for special occasions such as Diwali. This recipe from @halal_food_drooler is free of artificial sugar and flavors, gluten-free, and paleo-friendly! Here’s how you make it:
- 2 cups Coachella’s Best Organic Medjool Date paste (you can buy these dates here!)
- ¼ cup almonds, chopped
- ¼ cup cashews, chopped
- 2 tbsp pistachios, chopped
- 2 tbsp walnuts, chopped
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds
- ½ tbsp ghee (you can use butter as well!)
- ½ tsp cardamom powder
- Cut your Coachella’s Best Organic Medjool Dates in half and remove the pit.
- Place your halved dates in a bowl and either cover with hot water or add room temperature water and microwave for 60 seconds.
- Let the dates soak in the hot water for about 2-3 minutes.
- Drain out the water from the dates and pat dry.
- Add all of your soaked organic medjool dates into a blender or food processor and blend until there are no chunks left and you are left with Date Paste (we recommend starting at a slower speed and stopping to scrape the sides of the blender whenever needed)
- Place all of the chopped nuts in a pan and dry roast for 30 seconds on medium heat until lightly toasted.
- Remove the roasted nuts from the pan onto a plate and set aside.
- Add poppy seeds into the pan and roast for a few seconds then remove and set aside.
- In the same pan add butter and date paste. Cook on low heat for 2 minutes until soft, making sure to constantly mix with a spatula.
- Add roasted nuts mixture and cardamom powder to the pan and cook for another 4-5 minutes, until the mixture comes together as a round dough.
- Remove the dates mixture from heat.
- Let the mixture cool off enough to handle, then mix further with hands (if needed).
- Remove dates mixture and place on cling wrap and roll it into a log shape.
- Remove the cling wrap and roll the log over the roasted poppy seeds until it is thoroughly coated.
- Place the log in the fridge until it has completely cooled and cut into slices of date rolls as required.
- Serve cold and enjoy!
We hope you enjoy this Khajoor Barfi just as much as we do! Make sure to share your recreation of this recipe and don’t forget to tag us on Instagram @coachellasbestdates.