After a long day of fasting during Ramadan, treat yourself to this sweet treat: a Maamoul Date Cookie! Maamouls are shortbread-like cookies filled with a sweet filling. The cookies can be filled with pistachio, walnuts, and figs, but our favorites are filled with organic dates. These cookies are a popular Middle Eastern pastry and are known to be on every Ramadan dessert table.
Our Maamoul Cookies, made with Coachella’s Best Organic Medjool Dates, are meant to remind you that though fasting is difficult, within it is a sweet reward that comes after enduring the hardships of fasting. A distinct characteristic of the maamoul is the pattern of the cookie. This pattern is stamped on by a traditional maamoul mold. You can easily find a traditional maamoul cookie mold online or at a local global food market, but a fork will work to create the maamoul pattern. Maamouls are not only visually stunning but are also delicious cookies that effortlessly steal the spotlight on any platter, making them an ideal dessert to enjoy and celebrate with loved ones. We hope you enjoy this sweet reward!
For the Dough
- ½ cup of ghee or butter
- ¼ cup of light olive oil
- 2 ½ cups of all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp of sugar
- 2 tbsp of rose water or orange flower water
- 2 tbsp of milk
For the Date Filling
- ⅔ lb of Coachella’s Best Organic Medjool Dates
- Preheat your oven to 350°F
- Prepare your dough
- Melt the butter or ghee. Add the oil and then mix in the sugar.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the butter or ghee/sugar mixture with flour, working them together with your fingers
- Add the rose water or orange flower water and mix it in. Next add the milk, one tablespoon at a time. Then knead it all into a pliable dough.
- Let the dough rest for 30 minutes. Then roll out your dough into smooth balls.
- Prepare your date filling
- Remove the pit from your dates and finely chop
- Put your finely chopped dates into a food processor and process until dates are a smooth mass
- Roll out your date mixture into smooth balls the same size as the dough balls
- Shape your Maamoul Cookies
- Take a dough ball and flatten it. Hold it in the center of your palm and cup it. Place a date ball in the center. Wrap your dough around the date ball and pinch the dough to seal and then flatten out into a disc.
- Use a traditional maamoul mold and gently press to get the pattern on the cookie. If you do not have a maamoul mold, you can use a fork to create the pattern
- Place your cookies on a baking sheet and bake for 15 to 20 minutes
- Let your cookies cool and serve!
Don’t forget to share your Maamoul Cookies with us by tagging @coachellasbestdates on Instagram!
And Ramadan Mubarak!