Happy National Dog Biscuit Day! We always want the best for our pets and, unfortunately, many of the food and treats found at pet stores have cheap fillers and bad ingredients that can have a lasting impact on your dog’s health. Here at Coachella’s Best Dates, we believe that organic and natural is better! So why not share your favorite human treat with your furry friends?
While there are many foods that are safe for people and not dogs, such as raisins, dates are both safe and healthy for dogs! Rich in Vitamins A, B, and C, as well as calcium and natural fiber, dates make great treats for both humans and dogs. Not only are they healthy but the fiber combined with the natural sugar found in dates can provide long-lasting energy. Don’t be shocked if your dog gets the zoomies after a few delicious organic dates!
However, like anything in life, when it comes to these sweet treats, moderation is key. We recommend feeding one or two dates at a time to your pup, of course ensuring that any pits are removed. Because of the amount of fiber found in dates, too many dates at once can upset your dog’s stomach. Contact your vet if you are unsure about introducing dates into your dog’s diet.
In celebration of National Dog Biscuit Day, share a plain date with your pup, stuff it with natural peanut butter, or spice things up with this natural healthy dog biscuit recipe:
- 2 tbsp pitted and finely chopped Coachella’s Best Organic Dates (you can buy them in bulk HERE!)
- 1 cup grated raw carrots
- 1 ½ cups gluten-free all purpose flour
- ½ cup natural peanut butter
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup unsweetened oatmeal
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Preheat oven to 325°F
- In a large bowl, mix together the oatmeal, gluten-free flour and baking powder
- Form a hole in the center of the ingredients in the bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine the dates, carrots, peanut butter, and water.
- Add date mix to the hole in the large bowl, and stir until everything is combined.
- On a floured surface, roll out the dough to ¼” thick and cut into dog treat shapes.
- Place on baking sheet lined with parchment paper, and bake 14-16 mins.
- Let fully cool before serving and store in the fridge for up to two weeks!