A little sweet, a little spicy; this homemade date hot sauce is sure to blow the top off the bottles of sugar-filled sauces in your pantry. Crafting your own date hot sauce is not only a flavorful endeavor but a sweet date night activity where you can have fun with different flavors and spice levels tailored to your taste buds!
**Disclaimer: This recipe requires 3 days of refrigeration before it is ready to use.
The ingredients are interchangeable depending on your love for heat, but these are some of our favorites (makes about 3 cups or 24 oz – perfect for 2 bottles)
- 1 ½ cups of Coachella’s Best Organic Medjool Dates (about 9-10)
- 1 Habanero pepper - stemmed
- 1 cup Fresno peppers stemmed and chopped
- 2 Jalapeno peppers - stemmed
- 1 cup of peeled garlic cloves
- 1 cup of fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons of fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons of achiote paste
- 1 tablespoons of salt
- ¼ cup of white vinegar
Grab a pair of gloves before working with the peppers and avoid touching your face for the next steps:
- Add all of the ingredients except the white vinegar into a food processor and puree. Add ½ a cup of water and puree again until smooth.
- Put the mixture into a jar and cover with 2 layers of cheesecloth and refrigerate for 3 days, stirring daily.
- After 3 days, pour the mixture back into the food processor and puree again.
- Strain the mixture through a sieve, pushing down on the mixture to get all of the liquid out.
- Toss the leftover solid mixture into the trash and mix the ¼ cup of white vinegar to the remaining liquid.
- Distribute the sauce into bottles and store for up to a month.
This recipe packs a punch, so if you prefer sweeter sauces take a few peppers out and add another date or two!
Want to make a few flavors? Cut the recipe in half, or quarters, and use different peppers, add more garlic, or more juices to create different heat levels and flavor profiles. Let us know what you add in so we can try it too!
Find more of our date-licious recipes on our blog!